It might seem that a fried egg is one of the easiest meals to prepare. However, we often have a problem with it – either the white is semi-fluid, or the yolk comes out too runny, or we burn the whole egg… We suggest how to fry the perfect fried egg!
Eggs are a source of complete and easily assimilated by the body protein. They also contain vitamins A, E, D and K, as well as B vitamins or minerals: phosphorus, potassium, sodium, calcium, iron, magnesium, copper, zinc and selenium. It’s no wonder, then, that egg dishes often feature on our tables.
What does the perfect fried egg look like? It has a liquid yolk without discoloration and a truncated white without burning from underneath. What can we do to make our fried eggs always look like this?
We will need:
- two eggs,
- salt, pepper,
- canola oil, optional olive oil, regular or clarified butter,
- optional fresh dill.
How to fry a fried egg? Step by step
- Wash the eggs in lukewarm water and crack them into a small bowl to check if they are fresh.
- In a frying pan, heat a small amount of fat of your choice (1-2 tablespoons). Pour the eggs into the pan. If they sizzle too much and bubbles appear on the whites, it means that the power of the burner is too high and we need to reduce the flame.
- After about 2 minutes, we can cover the eggs with a lid. Fry on a low heat until the egg white has set, but the yolk still remains liquid (if you prefer a more runny yolk, you can of course extend the frying time).
- Sprinkle the fried eggs with salt and pepper only after they are fried and transferred to a plate – if you do it before, discoloration will appear on the yolk. Finished eggs can be sprinkled with chopped fresh dill.
Remember not to turn the eggs to the other side while frying. If we do, the yolk will curdle very quickly.
Valuable tips on how to fry the perfect fried egg
Fried eggs are best fried in a good Teflon or ceramic frying pan. The most important thing is that the coating of the pan should be non-stick. This will not only make frying easier, but will also reduce the amount of fat needed for frying. Since we are at the fat, let’s consider what will be suitable for frying fried eggs. Good choices will be canola oil, olive oil or butter – both regular and clarified. Keep in mind, however, that the eggs will have a slightly different taste depending on the fat used. The frying time may also differ. For example, in butter the white will blush the fastest.
And how long should we fry fried eggs? This depends primarily on the intensity of the flame and the fat used. However, we can generally assume that eggs should be fried for about four minutes, with two uncovered and two covered. Here we come to the question of whether to fry fried eggs in a pan without a lid, or is it better to do it covered? We recommend choosing two-step frying. We start without a lid, which is applied after about two minutes. Before covering, it is a good idea to slightly reduce the flame of the burner so that the hot air does not accumulate under the lid. By covering the pan during frying, the egg whites will quickly turn white, but will not burn from underneath.
main photo: pixabay.com/Eisenmenger